In addition to recently releasing Filesys::Virtual::Chroot I’ve also decided to publish my fork() control library as Proc::Fork::Control.
Proc::Fork::Control is a simple to use library which functions much the same way as Proc::Fork. That said, Proc::Fork is not used, as fork() is accessed directly.
Proc::Fork::Control allows you to manage forks, control number of children allowed, monitor children, control blocking and nonblocking states, etc.
This library can be obtained here: Proc-Fork-Control-1.4.tar
Or from CPAN directly:
sudo cpan Proc::Fork::Control
I’ve been trying hard lately to take useful code I’ve written over the years for different projects (such as my predictive anti-spam system Ruckus scanmail) and rep.ublish the libraries with more generic names under CPAN
Filesys::Virtual::Chroot provides advisory functions for creating a virtual chroot environment. This is useful when you wish to lock a process which takes input from the wild into a set of directories.
This library can be downloaded here directly: Filesys-Virtual-Chroot-1.3.tar
Or pulled off of CPAN with:
sudo cpan Filesys::Virtual::Chroot
So annoyingly I learned tonight that Firefox Mobile’s, search assistant tool (long press on home) tends to default to the wrong search engine. To fix this, open up firefox mobile, go to Settings -> Customize -> Search, then select a search engine that is non-default, select a search engine that you wish to use. That should fix the Firefox Search using the other `default’.
This is an updated 1080p version of a cool Mei Misaki wall paper (from the anime Another)
I’ve darkened this background up a bit more so it’s easier to read code when using konsole and full transparency. Here it is:
I put this together today because I wanted a new background on one of my desktops. If you haven’t seen the anime yet, it’s worth checking out.
Free as in beer. Enjoy.
I’ve reduced Baby Magnum’s logo and moved it over next to it:
So there are multiple methods to pull this off, however after doing it by hand, using DVD::rip, using Handbrake, etc. I finally settled on VLC. Yes, good old VLC has DVD ripping support. http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-rip-DVDs-for-free-with-VLC outlines how this is done, and from my recent tests, seems to work extremely well.
Its been a busy summer for me, I haven’t really had much time to opine on this blog about anything interesting.
So after building the new HTPC and installing mplayer, I noticed Mplayer2 was installed, this lead to some problems, including horrible video pixelation. After digging around the forums I finally ran across a write up from Andrew Strong over at his site.
The write up is great, thanks Andrew!
Well it’s been another year, and another Lustre User Group meeting. There were many interesting discussions which took place. Though in general I found the most useful session to be after the LUG was completed. The developer meeting, for me at least was an excellent use of my time.
Got to hang out with some colleagues and old friends
Quite a few `primary’ developers at the developer meeting.
One thing that’s been constantly bugging me, as well as my wife is the fact that in general, Samba (SMB) connectivity from our Windows 7 machines is spotty at best. In general we can connect, and transfer data to and from our ZFS file server. However at seemingly random times the transfers fail, or the shares become unavailable. This is extremely frustrating especially when doing something like streaming music.
After some digging around I found the SessTimeout variable which is described as:
Determines the duration of the secondary delay used in calculating a time-out value for outstanding operations. If the redirector does not receive a response to an outstanding operation before the resulting time-out expires, it considers the operation to have failed. The value of the SessTimeout entry can be thought of as a margin for error. If there is an unexpected delay, the redirector permits the operation this extra time to complete.
Sounds promising…. So I popped up regedit on the windows workstations and added the DWORD entry SessTimeout in:
To a value of 300. After that no more timeout issues! Whoohoo! Finally!