GoPro HERO3+ Wifi connection troubles with Cyanogenmod

Today I decided to pull out my old Hero3, after updating it to the latest firmware I was surprised to find that the GoPro app would not connect successfully. What I found was that for whatever reason, the DHCP request from my mobile device (OPO in my case) was not received and or accepted by the camera, and no IP address was found. After some probing around I discovered that these cameras default to the 10.5.5/24 network.

So the solution was simple, in my wireless settings for the AP on the mobile device I manually configured the IP address to live on the 10.5.5/24 network by assigning it the IP address The gateway and DNS are also assigned to however I don’t believe this makes any difference on these devices.



Well, another year of Super Computing conference has come and gone, some interesting stuff but mostly the same things over and over.

The company I work for just announced a new type of hard disk drive (10,000 RPM 3.5 full platter size). High capacity and lots of speed =).

I also some how managed to win a Seagate 7 drive. This is the 7mm thick portable. Before I turned it over to my wife I ran some quick benchmarks on it. given the drive size and capacity I was pretty pleased. well over 100MB/s read/write performance over USB3.

DVD ripping in Linux

So there are multiple methods to pull this off, however after doing it by hand, using DVD::rip, using Handbrake, etc. I finally settled on VLC. Yes, good old VLC has DVD ripping support. outlines how this is done, and from my recent tests, seems to work extremely well.

Another year, another LUG.

Well it’s been another year, and another Lustre User Group meeting. There were many interesting discussions which took place. Though in general I found the most useful session to be after the LUG was completed. The developer meeting, for me at least was an excellent use of my time.




Got to hang out with some colleagues and old friends20150414_214137


Quite a few `primary’ developers at the developer meeting.PANO_20150416_144330

Home depot and Lutron Maestro® dimmers….

So recently I decided to add one of these dimmers to my kitchen lighting, which is on a standard 3-way (double switch) circuit.  The folks at home depot, as well as all of the available documentation (including the box it comes in) suggests that 3-way operation works fine.

What they fail to mention is the 3 way only works correctly with the dimmer if you purchase the companion dimmer switch, which of course is not actually sold individually.



My HTPC finally died…

So over the last few years I’ve been a very simple HTPC setup. It consisted of an Intel E4500, 4GB ram system with a GTX 780 Nvidia card running Kubuntu Linux 12.04.

For storage I booted off a simple USB stick, after 3 years I’ve killed 5 USB sticks with constant writes, caching, swapping etc. Clearly not an ideal environment for a USB stick to operate in but hey, who cares they’re cheap and easy to backup / restore.

That said, this last time around I decided that it was time to upgrade, and I happen to have some spare parts laying around, including a spare case, so that’s exactly what I did.

New system is still running Kubuntu, however upgraded to 14.10, I salvaged the video card and the 4GB of ram, and added another 4GB of ram with new motherboard and E8500 CPU. Additionally the new case and better (and quieter) cooling as well as more room, and of course, the major bonus, I tossed an SSD in for the system disk.

I’ve thought about running Kodi on this system for a while but haven’t had much time to configure it, I did leave myself plenty of room on the SSD for additional operating system partitions in the future.