To fix issues with Windows 10 ignoring external manifest files (which control .exe window sizing, etc) with regedit, verify that the
DWORD is set to true.
If these DWORD entries don’t exist, then create them and assign them a true value.
Once complete, restart windows.
Windows 10 (at the time of this writing) apparently suffers from a host resolution bug inside of the “DNS Client” service.
The bug results in host resolution failure. (DNS lookup failures)
This can be addressed (sometimes) by flushing the DNS resolver cache with the CLI command:
Or more permanently by stopping and disabling the “DNS Client” service.
Today I decided to pull out my old Hero3, after updating it to the latest firmware I was surprised to find that the GoPro app would not connect successfully. What I found was that for whatever reason, the DHCP request from my mobile device (OPO in my case) was not received and or accepted by the camera, and no IP address was found. After some probing around I discovered that these cameras default to the 10.5.5/24 network.
So the solution was simple, in my wireless settings for the AP on the mobile device I manually configured the IP address to live on the 10.5.5/24 network by assigning it the IP address 10.5.5.2. The gateway and DNS are also assigned to 10.5.5.1 however I don’t believe this makes any difference on these devices.
So this morning I was kindly reminded again by my corporate IT overlords that my RSA soft token was going to be expiring in 9 days. Having had this token in place for a year now I had forgotten how to update it.
After a few minutes I recalled that the trick was as simple as
stoken import --file <my>.sdtid
Well that’s simple, except for the fact that in my case, this failed. After a quick bit of googling around I found that version 0.2 (which ships with my release of ubuntu) incorrectly identifies where the tokens are within the sdtid files resulting in an annoying error:
error: no valid token in file '<my>.sdtid': General failure
UGH! Well the solution is simple here. After a quick upgrade to 0.90 I’ve had no problems importing since.
Well after a few days of usage I found some major problems which prevented me from adopting Kubuntu 15.10 with the lovely Plasma 5 setup.
- Auto mount of NFS shares is broken again
- Desktop backgrounds are locked to a single background image
- Auto mount of random key encrypted swap is broken
- After a day or so of uptime, Plasma 5 starts to bog down
- A lot of the plasma widgets are a step backwards, they’re ugly, or poorly laid out vs the older Plasma 4 widgets
I’m hoping that these issues get resolved, as Plasma 5 and the new layouts and themes were a whole lot prettier than Plasma 4, however since I can’t use it everyday successfully and without aggravation I decided to restore my backup.
Upgrading from 14.04.3 to 15.10 and plasma 5, I have to say, I like it, it’s very polished, looks great, and usability is still there from earlier revisions. I’m looking forward to further customizing this system.
Below are some commands I’ve found useful when dealing with infiniband and related issues.
Determine port state on all ports available within the fabric
The command ibnetdiscover command will show you the state of each port in the the fabric. It’s a good idea when running this command (on any node) to redirect the output into a file (especially if you have a large number of ports)
Determine indivudual port information
The ibportstate command can provide additional port information once you have the LID (available from ibnetdiscover)
ibportstate -L <lid> query
Determine current node description
smpquery nodedesc 1
Enable / Disable a port
ibportstate -L <lid> -P <port> enable
ibportstate -L <lid> -P <port> disable
So annoyingly I learned tonight that Firefox Mobile’s, search assistant tool (long press on home) tends to default to the wrong search engine. To fix this, open up firefox mobile, go to Settings -> Customize -> Search, then select a search engine that is non-default, select a search engine that you wish to use. That should fix the Firefox Search using the other `default’.
So there are multiple methods to pull this off, however after doing it by hand, using DVD::rip, using Handbrake, etc. I finally settled on VLC. Yes, good old VLC has DVD ripping support. http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-rip-DVDs-for-free-with-VLC outlines how this is done, and from my recent tests, seems to work extremely well.
One thing that’s been constantly bugging me, as well as my wife is the fact that in general, Samba (SMB) connectivity from our Windows 7 machines is spotty at best. In general we can connect, and transfer data to and from our ZFS file server. However at seemingly random times the transfers fail, or the shares become unavailable. This is extremely frustrating especially when doing something like streaming music.
After some digging around I found the SessTimeout variable which is described as:
Determines the duration of the secondary delay used in calculating a time-out value for outstanding operations. If the redirector does not receive a response to an outstanding operation before the resulting time-out expires, it considers the operation to have failed. The value of the SessTimeout entry can be thought of as a margin for error. If there is an unexpected delay, the redirector permits the operation this extra time to complete.
Sounds promising…. So I popped up regedit on the windows workstations and added the DWORD entry SessTimeout in:
To a value of 300. After that no more timeout issues! Whoohoo! Finally!