I’ve noticed with my Sony soundbar, the sub-woofer will randomly fail to connect when I power it on. When this happens nothing can be done to get it linked up again except for a factory reset. The procedure below explains how to perform a factory reset:
Press the POWER button to turn the unit ON.
Press and hold the POWER button while pressing and holding the
INPUT SELECTOR and VOLUME – (down) button for at least 15 seconds.
Release the power button.
The message COLD RESET or RESET should appear on the display of
Once reset, be sure to turn off and then turn on again your sub-woofer with the power button, usually located on the rear of the unit, remember when powering on and off, the button must be held for a few seconds.
If your Sony doesn’t have this power button on the sub-woofer, you can always try and unplug / plug it in to power cycle it.
When attempting to boot most ASUS motherboards, (including most motherboards and laptop systems). the F8 key is almost always the key utilized. Reboot the system then hit F8 about once a second until you get into the boot menu. If the system boots into the OS loader, reboot and try again.
To fix issues with Windows 10 ignoring external manifest files (which control .exe window sizing, etc) with regedit, verify that the
DWORD is set to true.
If these DWORD entries don’t exist, then create them and assign them a true value.
Once complete, restart windows.
Windows 10 (at the time of this writing) apparently suffers from a host resolution bug inside of the “DNS Client” service.
The bug results in host resolution failure. (DNS lookup failures)
This can be addressed (sometimes) by flushing the DNS resolver cache with the CLI command:
Or more permanently by stopping and disabling the “DNS Client” service.
Today I decided to pull out my old Hero3, after updating it to the latest firmware I was surprised to find that the GoPro app would not connect successfully. What I found was that for whatever reason, the DHCP request from my mobile device (OPO in my case) was not received and or accepted by the camera, and no IP address was found. After some probing around I discovered that these cameras default to the 10.5.5/24 network.
So the solution was simple, in my wireless settings for the AP on the mobile device I manually configured the IP address to live on the 10.5.5/24 network by assigning it the IP address 10.5.5.2. The gateway and DNS are also assigned to 10.5.5.1 however I don’t believe this makes any difference on these devices.
So this morning I was kindly reminded again by my corporate IT overlords that my RSA soft token was going to be expiring in 9 days. Having had this token in place for a year now I had forgotten how to update it.
After a few minutes I recalled that the trick was as simple as
stoken import --file <my>.sdtid
Well that’s simple, except for the fact that in my case, this failed. After a quick bit of googling around I found that version 0.2 (which ships with my release of ubuntu) incorrectly identifies where the tokens are within the sdtid files resulting in an annoying error:
error: no valid token in file '<my>.sdtid': General failure
UGH! Well the solution is simple here. After a quick upgrade to 0.90 I’ve had no problems importing since.
Simple tip, to decode thread stack dumps from Lustre file system, which typically get dumped into /tmp, run:
lctl df <input file> <output file>
This will leave you with an ascii formatted, human readable stack trace which can be used for further debugging.
I’ve just released a new perl module based on my Ruckus::Conf module. This library allows you to implement an .INI like file parser for your perl programs. It allows for the configuration file to be simple and easy to follow, but provides advanced features such as nested configuration entries, and internal automatic macro support.
Anyways, check it out if you’re a perl hacker. It’s on CPAN
Well after a few days of usage I found some major problems which prevented me from adopting Kubuntu 15.10 with the lovely Plasma 5 setup.
- Auto mount of NFS shares is broken again
- Desktop backgrounds are locked to a single background image
- Auto mount of random key encrypted swap is broken
- After a day or so of uptime, Plasma 5 starts to bog down
- A lot of the plasma widgets are a step backwards, they’re ugly, or poorly laid out vs the older Plasma 4 widgets
I’m hoping that these issues get resolved, as Plasma 5 and the new layouts and themes were a whole lot prettier than Plasma 4, however since I can’t use it everyday successfully and without aggravation I decided to restore my backup.
Upgrading from 14.04.3 to 15.10 and plasma 5, I have to say, I like it, it’s very polished, looks great, and usability is still there from earlier revisions. I’m looking forward to further customizing this system.