Today I decided to pull out my old Hero3, after updating it to the latest firmware I was surprised to find that the GoPro app would not connect successfully. What I found was that for whatever reason, the DHCP request from my mobile device (OPO in my case) was not received and or accepted by the camera, and no IP address was found. After some probing around I discovered that these cameras default to the 10.5.5/24 network.
So the solution was simple, in my wireless settings for the AP on the mobile device I manually configured the IP address to live on the 10.5.5/24 network by assigning it the IP address 10.5.5.2. The gateway and DNS are also assigned to 10.5.5.1 however I don’t believe this makes any difference on these devices.
So this morning I was kindly reminded again by my corporate IT overlords that my RSA soft token was going to be expiring in 9 days. Having had this token in place for a year now I had forgotten how to update it.
After a few minutes I recalled that the trick was as simple as
stoken import --file <my>.sdtid
Well that’s simple, except for the fact that in my case, this failed. After a quick bit of googling around I found that version 0.2 (which ships with my release of ubuntu) incorrectly identifies where the tokens are within the sdtid files resulting in an annoying error:
error: no valid token in file '<my>.sdtid': General failure
UGH! Well the solution is simple here. After a quick upgrade to 0.90 I’ve had no problems importing since.
Simple tip, to decode thread stack dumps from Lustre file system, which typically get dumped into /tmp, run:
lctl df <input file> <output file>
This will leave you with an ascii formatted, human readable stack trace which can be used for further debugging.
I’ve just released a new perl module based on my Ruckus::Conf module. This library allows you to implement an .INI like file parser for your perl programs. It allows for the configuration file to be simple and easy to follow, but provides advanced features such as nested configuration entries, and internal automatic macro support.
Anyways, check it out if you’re a perl hacker. It’s on CPAN
Well after a few days of usage I found some major problems which prevented me from adopting Kubuntu 15.10 with the lovely Plasma 5 setup.
- Auto mount of NFS shares is broken again
- Desktop backgrounds are locked to a single background image
- Auto mount of random key encrypted swap is broken
- After a day or so of uptime, Plasma 5 starts to bog down
- A lot of the plasma widgets are a step backwards, they’re ugly, or poorly laid out vs the older Plasma 4 widgets
I’m hoping that these issues get resolved, as Plasma 5 and the new layouts and themes were a whole lot prettier than Plasma 4, however since I can’t use it everyday successfully and without aggravation I decided to restore my backup.
Upgrading from 14.04.3 to 15.10 and plasma 5, I have to say, I like it, it’s very polished, looks great, and usability is still there from earlier revisions. I’m looking forward to further customizing this system.
I’ve always wondered if the SSSD project could be leveraged to provide slightly faster stat() resolution.
It’s worth testing and hopefully I have some time to investigating further.
Project URL: https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/
Below are some commands I’ve found useful when dealing with infiniband and related issues.
Determine port state on all ports available within the fabric
The command ibnetdiscover command will show you the state of each port in the the fabric. It’s a good idea when running this command (on any node) to redirect the output into a file (especially if you have a large number of ports)
Determine indivudual port information
The ibportstate command can provide additional port information once you have the LID (available from ibnetdiscover)
ibportstate -L <lid> query
Determine current node description
smpquery nodedesc 1
Enable / Disable a port
ibportstate -L <lid> -P <port> enable
ibportstate -L <lid> -P <port> disable
Well, another year of Super Computing conference has come and gone, some interesting stuff but mostly the same things over and over.
The company I work for just announced a new type of hard disk drive (10,000 RPM 3.5 full platter size). High capacity and lots of speed =).
I also some how managed to win a Seagate 7 drive. This is the 7mm thick portable. Before I turned it over to my wife I ran some quick benchmarks on it. given the drive size and capacity I was pretty pleased. well over 100MB/s read/write performance over USB3.
In addition to recently releasing Filesys::Virtual::Chroot I’ve also decided to publish my fork() control library as Proc::Fork::Control.
Proc::Fork::Control is a simple to use library which functions much the same way as Proc::Fork. That said, Proc::Fork is not used, as fork() is accessed directly.
Proc::Fork::Control allows you to manage forks, control number of children allowed, monitor children, control blocking and nonblocking states, etc.
This library can be obtained here: Proc-Fork-Control-1.4.tar
Or from CPAN directly:
sudo cpan Proc::Fork::Control